The Mormon Church

I have not stepped foot inside a Mormon Church for almost a year, my Mom goes every week. I just have gotten to the point where I can't stand listening to the Bishop. Everytime they seem to indirectly point out all my flaws, the major one being Gay. They seem to somehow make me feel like crap, and I largely disagree with the conservative nature of the Church. However a part of me still have deep-seeded roots in the Church, as long as I live there is always gonna be a part of me that misses it. I know I can never return to the Church once they know the truth, unless we get some new radical Presidents who accepts gays. I still have respect for the Church, for 16 years it was the largest part of my life, then one day I decided that I was not gonna be returning to the Church.

I remember growing up always wanting to be one of the 60,000 missionaires at any given moment on the planet, that the Church has. I want to go to France, Greece, or Spain. I loved our missionaires we had over the years. We had one of the Sisters from Thailand she was my favorite, she would just come by, and chat for hours on end. We woul always take her and the other sister out to eat on Monday nights. The Brothers were just as fun, I always loved the monthly paintball tournaments we had. They could kick some serious ass. I will always wonder how they are doing, one of these days I might just find out.

The reason I bring this up, is tonight I drove by the Church. They were having some sort of mini carnival for Christmas. I stopped by, and talked with some of the people I haven't seen in a long time. They truly are good people, deep down inside their hearts. But God Damn they all drive minivans, Mormon Moms don't work, and if they do 99% of them teach piano lessons, and they bake constant cookies..... Erg...

For some reason I miss it.


Also I found out of the guys from my days in the Church who was a few years older then me " Came Out". He has been referred to the Mormon Conversion program EverGreen, I feel for him. If I could say one thing to him it would be, " That's the pot calling the keddle black."

Comments

Marc said…
My experience growing up Catholic was somewhat similar -- I was always a good little Catholic boy, I did a lot to try to fit in and meet the expectations the Church has in you. After I came out, it was hard for a while because I missed the sense of the community. Over the past few years, however, between putting together the community of friends I've made, as well as finding a new place with my family, along with the whacko things the Catholic Church has been doing, I've really reached the point where I don't miss it anymore. Certainly its a part of me and I value the positive things it brought to my life, but I don't need to support or be a part of a Church that won't accept me for who I am. There are a lot of very Catholics out there, and most of the ones I've come out to have been very accepting. Still, I've worked to become comfortable going in a different direction and nurturing my Spirituality in a variety of other ways.

Hope you are able to find a sense of community that can help.
Dave said…
I agreed to go to church on Christmas. It'll be weird to be inside again after coming out to my family. But at least I know that if I didn't want to go, I wouldn't have to.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragedy Has Been Written

Listen To Your Heart